Friday, February 28, 2014

A Sneak Peek of Twice Dead

I've been working hard on the second installment in the Dove Creek Chronicles, Twice Dead, and I feel like it's going really well! So, here's a sneak peek of what's in store. I cut it off so that it's spoiler-free if you haven't read Once Broken (really, what are you waiting for?!). Please keep in mind that this hasn't been through the editing process yet, and is subject to change. Hope y'all enjoy! Please be sure to let me know what you think!



I opened my eyes to find a familiar pair of silver ones peering back at me.
Jescha.

For a desperate moment, I was afraid because I couldn’t remember how I got there. Wherever there was.
I looked around. The place was featureless. The size was interminable. There could have been walls three feet on either side of me, or the space may have been infinite. It was an unsettling feeling. I couldn’t put my finger on why, but I felt like I had never before understood the true meaning of the phrase in limbo . . . Until right then.

It wasn’t too hot or too cold. The light wasn’t too bright, but it wasn’t so dim that I couldn’t see Jescha with ease. When my attention finally settled on the angel, I was surprised further.
She looked just as she had when I’d first seen her. Her wise, shimmery gaze still seemed to bore right into my very soul. Her fair hair had not a lock out of place and her simple, elegant clothing hung just as it should. Her skin still exuded the same luminescence that made her almost seem to glow.

But there was a difference now that couldn’t be missed: She had wings.
Not big, feathery wings like those usually depicted in paintings, but something closer to butterfly wings. They were outstretched behind her, impressive in their size. The same colors as the rest of her, they glimmered with silver and iridescence. They were sheer and filmy-looking, though something told me they weren’t as delicate as they looked.

“Remington?” The angel’s brow furrowed, as though I had caused her worry.
“Yes,” I answered. “Jescha, am I dreaming?”

“Yes. You are asleep, but I think you will find that this is very real.”
“Where are we?”

“Most would call this the Astral Plane. It is the place between living and death.”

“Realm of ghosts and spirits,” I said, an unbidden shiver buzzing just under my skin. “Why did you bring me here?”

“I am very far from you right now."

4 comments:

  1. Do you have a release date for this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It'll be sometime this summer. I'll be able to firm up the exact release date as soon as I'm finished with the first draft. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're doing wonderful and your first book was so captivating! I'm excited for your second book : ) you go, girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much! I'm plugging away just as fast as my fingers will fly. :P

    ReplyDelete